Walking half naked around bars at 2 am and drinking beyond being aware of your surroundings while sending ambiguous signals does not excuse his crime. But it still makes you look like a retarded idiot. And walking around with signs blaming your lack of risk awareness on society and culture does not make it any better.
The world is a dangerous place. It’s full of criminals, perverts, psychopaths or people with lack of self control who are not impressed by civil right protests. If you don’t give a shit about your personal safety - why do you expect others to look out for you?
This culture, your culture, my culture told girls it’s perfectly safe to walk around piss drunk alone with strangers in abandoned garage staircases. This culture makes young girls believe that some magic wand enforces law and order, chivalry and fairness around the clock even in the darkest alleys. That there is not a single pervert, criminal, drunk or drug addict out there who ignores the laws of civilized society and will lose control, rape you given the first chance or kill you for $25 that he urgently needs on crack.
As long as there is a single criminal still out there YOU have to watch out for yourself! Write this on signs: It’s his crime but your live that gets wrecked. Stay safe!
This is not the point. The point is that rape is rape and men get off scott-free while the woman is left to live with that for the rest of her life. But who’s to blame? Well, not the criminal, that’s for sure. We should blame the woman, she MUST have done SOMETHING to make him do that. Of course.
99.99% of men live long and fulfilled lives without ever committing violent crimes. The problem is the remaining 0.01%. We call them criminals and they don’t give a shit about your or my rights. This is not about men and women. This is about criminals and victims.
So which sounds like a more feasible plan?
A] marching around with billboards trying to convince criminals not to commit crimes
B] educating people how to avoid falling victim of a crime
Who is the only one likely to listen? Who is the only one interested in avoiding the violent crime from happening? The victim or the criminal?
If you prefer not to be raped over ‘being right’ please go and read Marc ‘Animal’ MacYoung’s excellent No Nonsense Self-Defense on Rape. Marc MacYoung is a former gang member who turned into a security analyst. He has a lifelong experience of street violence form both ends and interviewed over 100 rape victims over the years. He seriously knows what he is talking about. And while you are at it read his other articles on Property Crime or Robbery.
If you still vouch for plan A] the right way is still not to march half naked around with billboards chanting “a sexy dress is not a yes”. You want to help? Organize free and accessible legal representation for rape victims! Collect money and hire lawyers who are proficient in violent crime and sexual assault cases! Represent the victims, bring these cases to court and put the criminals behind bars!